Wednesday, February 04, 2004

what's on ... right now

I used to buy all of those "Book of Questions" books and I remember going to Village Inn (all those coffee houses were closed by that time) after work and reading them with friends. We also had a notebook that we would pass around during work hours with a few of the questions and would answer. Yes, this is what your customer service people are doing when they place you on hold. Anyway, needless to say, I love playing question games. So thanks to Tommy and his cool, cool site for helping me find a list of all these memes that I will undoubtedly join. I did the unconscious mutterings one yesterday even though it is supposed to be on Sunday. So from now on, I'll just do them on the corresponding day. Here is today's What's on ... right now:

What's On your "I'll Never Do That Again" list Right Now?
-I'll never buy another Pontiac (mine burned. Yes burned!)
-I'll never go shopping on December 23rd again
-I'll never try to sit up on something that I cannot reach again
-I'll never arrive at the airport 20 minutes before my flight leaves again
-I'll never walk about Mexico City by myself just because I'm craving jicama again

Ok, so now I'll tell you about my day. I've already mentioned that I live in El Paso so you must know that almost everyone here speaks Spanish. If they don't, they at least understand it. Today I was reminded of why "One language per sentence" has been one of my rules. I speak Spanish very fluently and want Brianna and Alec to at least know it. It was easier for me to practice since that's all my grandparents spoke but Brianna and Alec won't need to speak Spanish to my parents or in school. I don't know how well they can learn it. I only spoke Spanish to Brianna until she was three but now in school all she speaks is English and I've noticed that she often asks me to translate words to my grandmother. So, I dropped her off today and we were reminded that Wednesdays they are dismissed from school an hour early. This was the bus matron's exact quote, "Remember que ahora es Wednesday, eh?" I understood, but it bothers me. It is such a bad custom in border cities to speak that way. I mean, we actually have a bilingual radio station here. My mom is very guilty of this style of speech saying phrases like, "Voy a hacer vacuum." I made it a point to correct anyone in my household who did this today. I was pleased to notice that Brianna will respond in Spanish when spoken to in Spanish and the same with English. Rodrigo just speaks English anyway, and as for Alec, he gave still only speaks "baby". Good night! (Buenas noches!)

feeling: I want to take a bath and read
listening to: Dido (White Flag)
what I should be doing instead of blogging: relaxing in a warm bath

No comments: