Saturday, February 14, 2004

i love my life/ the friday five

i love my life

Today was the coldest day that we've had so far this season. There were a few snow flurries and for El Paso that means total traffic chaos. I heard on the news that there were more than 50 accidents reported during the morning commute. That also means that half my family was calling me this morning telling me to be very, very careful while driving Brianna to school. You'd think I was a horrible driver or something but I understand that they're just concerned. For the long drive to school, I decided to skip the freeway and just take city streets. On the way, I passed by the place where I rented my first studio apartment and instantly felt grateful for what I now have. Have you ever been broke? I mean, really broke? That's how I was when I lived there. I made a budget for myself and set money aside for rent, car payment, insurance, furniture rental, and party money. Being on my own for the first time and of legal age, it was a perfect time to go out at least three times a week. I had a blast! In that budget I didn't feel it was important to include food. So I would spend $1 on food and head down to the 7-eleven for a 99 cent bag of Doritos or Cheetos. That and water was my dinner. Sometimes, I'd add lime and hot sauce to the chips for a change. My studio was tiny, I was on almost no sleep from work and play and my nourishment was horrible but I had so much fun that no of that even bothered me. I remember once after I'd paid everything I only had $5 left and I bought a sack of oranges with it. Driving home I was completely broke but I was listening to good music, had a full tank of gas, a sack of oranges that would last a long time, and the freedom to do whatever I wanted to do. I couldn't have asked for anything more. Of course I wanted stuff, but knew that there was no way I could afford it. It isn't until now that I realize how great stability actually is. It's great to have others to look after and not live in a one room studio. Still, I think everyone should be that broke and clueless at least for little while in their life. It makes everything you have after that mean a whole lot more.

The Friday Five

1. Are you superstitious?
-Logic tells me that I shouldn't be, but even though I wouldn't say it out loud, I have to admit that I am. I do all the things and you're supposed to do or not do "just in case".
2. What extremes have you heard of someone going to in the name of superstition?-When I was pregnant with Alec, there was a lunar eclipse. My grandmothers, great-aunts, and co-workers made me wear silver around my stomach. I had safety pins pinned onto my skirt and an elastic band with keys tied around me. I don't remember what their reason was for doing it but I went along with it anyway.
3. Believer or not, what's your favorite superstition?
-Not to put your purse on the floor. It's supposed to make your money go faster. I won't put my purse on the floor ever (again, "just in case")
4. Do you believe in luck? If yes, do you have a lucky number/article of clothing/ritual?
-For some reason October 21st has always been a really good day for me. Something always happens on that day or right around it. I noticed the date coincidences and now look forward to the date. In 1989 and 1990, some boys I liked kissed me for the first time right on that date, 1991-1997 something awesome about my boyfriend at the time, 1998 moved back to El Paso on that very day, 1999 became good friends with Rodrigo, 2000 won $500 at work again on that date, 2001 got a promotion and an awesome schedule change that exact date, 2002 became pregnant with Alec ( found out on November 15th I was three weeks along, 2003 moved into our house.
5. Do you believe in astrology? Why or why not?
no. Won't even check my horoscope.

feeling: realizing how superstitious i really am makes me feel crazy
listening to: Britney Spears (Toxic) hey, it's on TV and yes, I have to admit I like it
what I should be doing instead of blogging: washing dishes

No comments: