I've been reading lots of memoirs lately. I don't know why, it sort of just happened. I'm always, always reading something and it had mostly been just fiction. The recent memoirs I've read are. . .
- The Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls. I liked this book and all but I found so much of it so hard to believe. As a mother, I mean. Maybe it's better to say that I found lots of it hard to grasp. There are parts where she is a three year old and cooking hot dogs for herself and another part where the parents put all in the kids including a baby in the back of a Uhaul. I don't understand how parents could be like that.
- Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim by David Sedaris. I don't know how to explain David Sedaris but if you're read any of his books, you know. He's funny the stories are sort of disfunctional and entertaining.
- The Opposite of Fate by Amy Tan. Well, I love Amy Tan so it was great to read more explanations of her works along with all the things she wrote about her life. If you are an Amy Tan fan, this is a must read.
- The Tender Bar by J.R. Moehringer. This book was absolutely beautiful. I loved the way he told this story and makes you care about all the people in it. I was going through book withdrawl when I finished this book and we have an ongoing Moehringer thing here at my house. I'll explain in another post as it is a long story.
- Running With Scissors by Augusten Burroughs. Uh, yikes! This was one of those books that I wanted to read and just kept putting it off. Then I heard that the movie was out and I thought I should really read this before I watch it. Wow, I'm surprised he's not some sort of psycho. I figure this stuff has to be true because who could make this up?
Right now I am reading a fiction book Rodrigo bought me but I have nothing new after that. Any recommendations?
watching: Conan O'Brien