Friday, March 12, 2004

update/ friday five

Thanks for your comments. To be perfectly honest, I feel better knowing that you thought I should just stay calm and see how things work out. Here's the update. I am now FURIOUS. Last night we were informed that there was no evidence at all to support the allegations and that the employees will be able to go back to work. At the meeting, other teachers and various parents cheered, clapped, and stood up. It turns out that a mother claimed that her son was sexually assaulted first by a parent, then dropped that charge and four months later said that it was another set of parents plus six school employees. I kind of thought that the story was a little far-fetched. I can't imagine how parents plus six employees would allow that to happen. I would understand maybe one employee or parent, but for all of these people to know and be involved just doesn't sound right to me. I figure that if one person was abusing or assaulting a child six other people who knew about it wouldn't just stay quiet. The mother who made the accusation in the first place was at the meeting and stood up, started yelling about how it was unfair and said that she was mistaken. Even though she has sworn up and down that this took place in October, after the decision was made she now says that this happened in September. She pulled her son out of school in October, though. I can't imagine why she would be there. If that happened to me, I don't think I'd start yelling in front of hundred of people. Not because I'd be embarrassed, but because I wouldn't want to cause any more pain or embarrassment to my child.
Brianna brought home a letter today that gave us more information. I'll write it out here verbatim. . .

-Allegation: During a field trip, school bus taking children to a local firehouse broke down and the students were taken off of the bus in a "red car" to a "green house" where they were sexually abused.
-Fact: District records show the bus did not break down, no children were taken off the bus nor does any staff member or parent named in the allegation own either a red car or live in a green house.
-Fact: The child making the allegation of abuse on the field trip did not even attend the field trip.

This is what made me furious. This all sounds like just a made up story and I don't understand how it all got so out of control. I can't imagine a bus load of 4 year olds taken out of a brokedown bus in the middle of the street and placed in random cars only to be taken to a house, abused, and dropped back off at school. Yes, I'm sure a bus had broken down at some time, but another is sent for back-up. I've never heard of or seen students just placed in strangers' cars. Can you imagine what a lawsuit that would cause. I'm also concerned for this child. I believe that he is being abused but has to make up elaborate stories as to how it happened. I am mad because of all the stress that this has caused. There were times that I couldn't sleep just worrying about my daughter. I'm also thinking about the employees. I can't imagine how they must have been feeling during this whole time. I know I'd be distraught if someone said these things about me. Anyway, I went back to the school today and all seemed normal. No police cars or news crews. Brianna had a good day and is now off for spring break until April (they get three weeks off). I feel relieved and overall much better but still upset at the whole thing. I guess I should just be happy that all seems to have turned out well. I was notified that my background check has cleared and I am now welcome to be a school volunteer at the Pre-k. Now more than ever I want to be involved and actually be there so I fully intend to be at the school longer as soon as classes start up again. Thanks for "listening".

friday five

1. What was the last song you heard?
- This love by Maroon 5

2. What were the last two movies you saw?
-Whale Rider and Capturing the Friedmans

3. What were the last three things you purchased?
-if gasoline counts then gasoline, gasoline, and red bull

4. What four things do you need to do this weekend?
-go to the party store, go to my mom's and meet their new dog, buy some more hangers, rearrange Brianna's drawers

5. Who are the last five people you talked to?
-Alec, Brianna, Rodrigo, grandma, mom

feeling: relieved but upset
listening to: The Cure (Close to me)
what I should be doing instead of blogging: making dinner

No comments: