Monday, September 05, 2005

labor day weekend

I hope your Labor day and weekend were good. Mine were just great!

Saturday: I had to work and that wasn't cool, but I had the whole afternoon off. We heard on the radio that item donations for hurricane victims were being accepted at our local airfield. We quickly went to the store and bought stuff we thought they'd need. We filled up our little car and drove over to drop them off. Seeing as to how it was at a military base, we had to get a permit to enter. Then we got lost looking for the building. We finally found it and by the time we got back home it was well past midnight. It wasn't a whole lot that we were able to take, but I think right now everything helps. I can't even begin to imagine what it means to lose everything you own.
Sunday: I'm aching for fall and I was a little stir crazy so I knew I wanted to take a road trip. We drove over to New Mexico in hopes that the weather would be a little cooler as tends to be the case. We went to Hillsboro, N.M. for the apple festival. I wish I'd read this article first because I was expecting apples galore and was surprised that there were hardly any apples at all. What we did get was brown sugar kettle corn (everybody say yum), some DELICIOUS peach honey made by a little company called Nature's Nectar (I'm plugging because it is sooooo good!), and the apple things we ate/drank were cider, apple pie, caramel apples and apple chips. We left there and drove to Hatch, N.M. for their Chile Festival. The whole little town was decorated with hundreds of ristras. The place smelled delicious. We ate some gorditas there and bought a 50 lb. sack of roasted chili. Rodrigo looked like Santa Claus carrying the huge sack. We drove back to El Paso and stopped by my grandma's and Rodrigo's mom's house to drop off chili (let's face it, they cook better than I do and I'm a wimp at peeling chili. Imagine peeling 50 lbs?!). I took pictures! No, I haven't found my camera charger but took pictures with my mom's regular film camera. I'll post them as soon as I get them developed.
Today we worked around the house. There are some hurricane evacuees here in the city. I went through a whole lot of the kids clothes and gathered what isn't going to fit them or I think they might not wear any longer. I'm going to take it over tomorrow morning since I know they are in dire need of donations. My kids out grow their clothes so fast, the clothes don't even look work out or over-used. Well, save the pajamas. In that last article I linked, there's a part about Kids Helping Kids and I'm going to have Brianna do that. I think it's important for children to help those less fortunate when they can.
Anyway, that was my weekend. How was yours?

feeling: tired
listening to: nothing, ahh....
what I should be doing instead of blogging: sleeping

No comments: