Sunday, January 08, 2006

book recommendations

I always try to make sure I have a new book to read before I finish whatever I'm reading. Well, it didn't happen this time. I just finished reading Amy Tan's Saving Fish From Drowning and I have nothing new to read. The problem is that I don't have anything that I really want to read right now. For the longest time there was a book I couldn't wait to read before I finished whatever I was reading. Oh, and I'm one of those people that like to read only one book at a time. So, could you please recommend a book? Again? Here's a list of what I've read since we moved here in August.

Right before we moved, I stuck my hand in the box marked "books" and I pulled out White Oleander. I read it for like the sixth time.

Then I bought and read. . .

The Secret Life of Bees
The Mermaid Chair. Since I liked "Secret Life..." I thought I'd like this book by the same author. I didn't care for it too much.
Memoirs of a Geisha. Oh, I couldn't put this down!
The Kite Runner. I loved it.
The Time Traveler's Wife. Very interesting and so different from any other book.
A Million Little Pieces. Yikes this was so raw and descriptive.
Middlesex
The Kitchen God's Wife
The Joy Luck Club. I had never read the book. Can you believe it?
Finally Saving Fish From Drowning. Have any of you read this? Well, let me tell you that it is VERY different from Amy Tan's usual style. It is not a story about a Chinese/American family. It is about some tourists that go missing in Burma. The narrator is a dead woman who was supposed to be the guide and goes along on the trip in spirit. It's not that I didn't like the book, I really did, I just expected different. After I bought it I heard how it was such a different style for her but I didn't know before.
I've been thinking about buying Life of Pi. Has anyone read it? Suggestions?

feeling: sleepy
listening to: Nada Surf (Always Love)
what I should be doing instead of blogging: getting things ready for tomorrow

No comments: