Saturday, July 08, 2006

ex-crafty yvett

I used to be crafty. Not like sly or cunning, but you know, crafty. I used to enjoy making things. During holidays or birthdays it was a given that friends and co-workers would be receiving something handmade from me. I especially liked making gift baskets and so my family members (ok, just my mom) would also get me to make baskets for them to give out. After Alec was born all that went out the window.
Still, I have a lot of craft junk that I saved. Now I'm packing and finally getting around to get rid of things. I know we've moved before, but last time my dad and brother helped us move and I didn't mind having them haul boxes around for me. Now that we're getting actual movers, I'm embarrassed to have them move so much junk. I'd hate to have them think I'm a packrat and be cursing me under their breath. I know it should be the other way around, but. . . .
So, I've decided to limit all my craft material to one large plastic box. A lot of what I've kept is ribbon. I had no idea how much ribbon I had. I kept my glue guns, of course and just lots of other little knickknacks. I don't sew, so I don't have lots of cloth. I donated lots of yarn and other things to a local charity and I feel good for doing a good thing and for getting rid of things. Ahh...
There was a time when I couldn't have imagined just having one box of craft material but for now, it seems to work.

feeling: I hate my packratting ways
listening to: Weezer (Beverly Hills)

3 comments:

Yvett said...

Jess, I used to have a craft closet but for the year that we lived in those house I never unpacked any of it. It was all just boxes now.

Yeah, I guess I understand about the movers but with all the clothes and toys and toys and toys that my kids have, the movers will be hating me already. Plus, I just really saw this as an opportunity to finally clean up.

S said...

Oh my! I have totally been thinking about getting rid of some of my stuff too. I just don't have room for things. Living in an older house means no closet space so everything is out in the open. I need to be brave and purge!

Jodi said...

I was just going through some of the (minimal) stuff I have for former crafts. I repurposed some containers for some current projects. I should definitely donate some of my stuff. It's not much at all, but I don't use it.