Monday, September 18, 2006


I don't think I'd ever been as mad at Rodrigo as I was yesterday. I was LIVID! Had I been a cartoon, you would've seem me as a whistle with steam coming out of my ears. So, let me tell you. . . . . Rodrigo woke up yesterday and started getting ready. This was quite odd since on Sundays he likes to lounge around as long as he can. I asked him where he was going and he said he was going biking. Now, he recently bought a mountain bike and has been going crazy with the biking. He claims that he used to bike a lot but I'd never heard that before he started looking for a bike. Even if he did, he hadn't done it for a long time, so you'd think he'd start off little by little. Last Sunday he rode too many miles and ended up being sore for the rest of the day. This time I asked him to try to not go too far. Of course he took this as nagging and decided to do whatever he wanted to anyway. He left.
I made breakfast, fed the kids, waited some more, ate breakfast myself, started watching a movie. One hour. An hour and a half. Almost two hours. Then he called me asking me to take him water. When I heard this, I got a little mad. I asked where he was and he told me he'd found his way to a nearby biking trail and decided to go on it. WHAT?!?! WITHOUT WATER? So the kids and I drove over quickly to take him some water. We got there. Waited. Waited some more. I called him and asked him where he was and he said he was almost out of the trail and that he'd be there shortly. We waited. 5 minutes. 10 minutes. I called him again. No answer. I was thinking "Ok, he didn't hear or feel the ringing". I called again, still no answer. (thinking: Hmm, he can't get the phone and he'll call me shortly). A few minutes and still no call, I called again, no answer. (thinking: Oh, so he's not going to answer, eh?) Waited a while. I was calling to make sure I was in the right place and right about here I started to freak out. Called again several times with no answer. I was furious and worried at the same time. I kept thinking "Who goes out in a biking trail in the middle of the desert with no water, no sunblock and wearing a dark shirt"?!?!?!?! I was imagining him thrown out in the middle of the desert somewhere with no one around. I thought there might be other exits and I was at the wrong one while he was at another one fainted and dehydrated. I left and started driving around. Maybe he meant that he was on his way back home, so I drove all the way back home and didn't see him anywhere. We went back to the biking trail and I received a call from another cell phone. It was Rodrigo calling from some guy's cell because he had lost his phone. He said he'd lost his way on the trail and two guys were going to direct him back to another exit. It would be about a 15 minute ride. I went to the location to wait. I was there almost half an hour and I called the cell. They told me Rodrigo's bike chain had broken and were walking out on to another street. I finally found them at a fire station and Rodrigo was RED and soaking. One of the guys had shared water with him and he was lying down in the shade. So I was ready to leave and Rodrigo said the guys would take him home. I couldn't believe it. He said he was way too tired to take apart the bike and he'd rather go in their truck. The kids and I left. I wouldn't have but it was HOT and the kids were CRANKY by now. A few minutes later, Rodrigo and the guys showed up at the house. I thanked them and gave them a few bottles of water. I wanted to feed them but they had to leave. I was so mad at Rodrigo, I decided to just say nothing. I didn't want to get into some huge fight and I'm sure he was not in the mood. I went over to him and proceded to remove cactus needles from his legs and arms. He had fallen over twice and landed in a cactus. After that, he learned first hand that jumping chollas really do jump and stick to you. (you should know that jumping chollas are little pest cacti that seem to jump out of nowhere and are hard to get off of you. Not a tribe of natives that jump out and attack people which is what my grandma thought when I was telling her this) When it seemed all the needles were off, I bandaged some cuts and helped into a bath. I was still mad but more concerned at this time. After he took a long nap, I finally delivered my speech/lecture. I'm sure you can imagine the kind of stuff I said. I wasn't rude. It was more of like a "Who does that?" sort of speech. I told my mom earlier and she laughed so hard she cried. Uh, yeah, she wouldn't be laughing if it had been my dad who had done that. I can just imagine how mad she would've been. Anyway, Rodrigo is going to get his bike fixed soon. Too soon if you ask me and is looking to buy some hydration packs called Camelbaks.

feeling: HOT
listening to: The Ocean Blue (Between Something and Nothing)

added 09/19/06: I wrote this entry yesterday but had problems posting so you'll see it with the wrong date, I think.


Anonymous said...

Glad Rodrigo is alright. Good grief what a story.


Jesser said...

I have to admit ... I'm laughing too ... hehe. Why do they have to be such GUYS???? I hope and pray that you don't become a mountain bike widow. Usually Matty is pretty good, but sometimes we have problems ... and my best friend's husband will never let ANYTHING get in the way of the two rides he has scheduled each week ... rides that last 2-4 hours plus drive time. Can't they just do anything A LITTLE?? Why does it have to be so extreme?? And CamelBaks are definitely the way to go ... assuming he remembers to take it. You can even stick a tube of sunscreen in there for him. Glad he's ok tho ... hehe.