Thursday, April 26, 2007

se habla telemarketing

Here is what you need to know.

- We are on the "Do Not Call" list. Still. In this phone number. It hasn't expired. I have the printout right here.
- My last name is in Spanish
- Rodrigo's last name is also in Spanish

So, we've been getting a whole lot of telemarketing calls in Spanish. Lots and lots of calls. I looked up some information and as it turns out people with Spanish surnames are targeted by these telemarketing companies. This is sooooo wrong. I mean, not everyone with a last name in Spanish actually speaks Spanish. Anyway, I answer the phone in English and get asked if I spoke Spanish. I've lied several times and say no. They apologize and hang up. This didn't stop the calls, though. So now I've received calls that are a recording telling me we won a prize and to claim it press "1". I didn't do anything and the call just disconnected. I tried to dial the number and it's just a rapid busy signal. Anyway, I googled it up and found pages and pages of complaints. People are being harassed by these people. I finally found out the name of the company and the real phone number and I called. I was speaking Spanish telling them that they called my house way too many times and wondering why they were calling in the first place. They tried to sell me a vacation package. Again I explained that I wanted the calls to stop and I was transferred. The manager woman again tried to sell me a vacation package. I asked again to not be called and explained that I was on the do not call list. Then she had the audacity to tell me that the do not call list was not valid if I requested it in Spanish. WTF? I mean, que f*ck? What was she talking about? The do not call request was made online. I them started speaking English and told her that what she had just said was not true and that they needed to stop calling. Anyway, she transferred me to someone else because she didn't speak English. What is going on? Is this really going on? Are they ignoring do not call requests for people whose last names are not in English? Does this sort of thing happen in other languages? This is so wrong. Anyway, after that I haven't had any of these calls. I wonder if it was the same company making ALL those calls or if they're different companies in cahoots somehow. Hmm.

Someday soon I'll use this blog to post about something other than complaining and whining. Don't leave in a bad mood. Here, I'll make you feel better . . . kittens and rainbows and ice cream and birthday parties and Brandon Boyd. Ah, much better.

feeling: I love coffee
listening to: Tiger Army (Forever Fades Away)

4 comments:

foodiechickie said...

Is it a scam?

Jesser said...

What a crock!!! I hate this sort of thing. You can never get to the bottom of it.

Michelle said...

it's as if they're taking advantage of what they assume to be uneducated immigrants, not knowing about this law. how upsetting!

Michelle said...

on a side note, I wish there was a "do not call" list for businesses. we get so many calls that are unsolicited, it's crazy. but the list is only for residential numbers.