Thursday, March 04, 2004

flat tire/ thursday threesome/ friday five

flat tire
I was on the freeway driving home this afternoon after picking up Brianna thinking about how badly I had to go to the bathroom and how I couldn't wait to get home. We were singing something which I can't remember when suddenly I felt a bump, bump, bump and heard a thud, thud, thud. I know it was just a second or two but the following all crossed my mind, "oh !@#*! I knew I should've checked the oil. now I've totally wrecked my only vehicle and what am I going to do?!?! . . . wait, maybe it's just the tire. holy @#!* how fast am I going? ok, whatever I do, don't hit the break, don't hit the break, just slow down and pull over." Well, it was a tire. I was going pretty fast but I managed to switch lanes then pull over into the shoulder. I was always scared of getting a flat on the freeway and worried about what I would do, but luckily I didn't crash into anything. Once I had pulled over I thought, "ok, Rodrigo is at work about an hour away so I need to call my dad. what the heck is his work phone number? call mom. maybe I can do this myself. wait, in these boots? ok, call mom and ask for dad's number. maybe I should call my brother. nah, he's probably not in." I ended up calling my dad and I was on the phone with him when a courtesy patrol truck pulled over.
guy#1: "are you ok?"
me: "yes, just a flat. someone is on the way to help me, though, thanks."
guy#1: "that's ok. we can do this. it's very windy, though why don't you just get back in the vehicle."
me: "ok, thanks"
I go in and call my dad. tell him that someone was already helping me. Then they tap on the window.
guy#2: "we're going to need the key for lock on the spare"
me: blank stare. (what lock? what key?) "Oh, it doesn't have a lock"
guy#2: "I'm pretty sure it does."
Trying to prove him wrong I get off, walk over to the back where the spare is and see the lock.
me: (handing him my keychain) "these are all the keys I have"
I get back in
guy#1: "none of these fit, can we break the lock?"
me: "sure"
I call my dad again and tell him that the spare has a lock. He, of course, knew that and tells me that the key is on my keychain. I remember that it was one of the ones I took off because they "didn't match".
guy#1: "can we have the tire lock key please?"
me: another lock?
guy#1: "yes, it should be somewhere in your glove compartment or wherever you have storage space."
I'm looking all over for a regular key and my dad calls. I explain what I'm looking for and he describes what that key looks like as if he were talking to a four-year-old. after trying to hand him all the pieces of metal I can find, I finally give guy #1 the right "key". They continue working out here, put air in the spare and put it on as I watch.
guy#2: (thinking he is talking to a total moron) "ok. you're all set. now put on your seatbelt and what you have to do is speed up and merge into the traffic. be very careful, though"
me: (even though I know he thinks I'm a moron) "thank you sooooooo much!"
guy#1: "be careful now"
me: "thank you. i will be."

We got home safely and proceeded to make the "I'm home now" calls. Just a few minutes ago as I started typing, Rodrigo comes in.
Rodrigo: "what are you blogging about"
me: "my flat tire on the freeway"
I then proceed to tell him about how stupid I felt about not knowing anything about my own vehicle.
Rodrigo: "that's ok, you're a girl"
me (thinking) was that an insult? was he trying to be nice as in, "I'll be the big tough man and help you in all your car troubles"? does he think I'm stupid too? was that supposed to make me feel better? should I start singing "Just a Girl"?
me: "what is that supposed to mean?"
Rodrigo: "that you don't know about keys and stuff like that"
me: "so what, girls don't know that keys open locks"?
Rodrigo: (snickers) "no, not that at all, you just don't know about car stuff. I'm going to bed."
me: "ok, I'll be there in a bit"
So, was I just insulted? Does he think of me as poor little Yvett who is going to be scared of those big cars passing by? I'm really not interested in learning anything about cars but I should at least know something like this, no? Oh well, I think about this more tomorrow and I'm just happy that the kiddies and I got home safely.

thursday threesome
Hey, how about a:
::Night on the Town!::

Onesome: Night: -- Nights can be difficult if you need something from somewhere: what time do the stores shut down where you are? I mean, if you needed something more than a loaf of bread, is there any hope late at night?
-Walgreens and Walmart are open 24 hours and just a couple of minutes drive away. There is also a 24 hour IHOP, and a Whataburger a couple of blocks from here in case we're hungry.

Twosome: on the-- River? Hey, are there any rivers near you? ...or are you located out in the wilderness somewhere?
-The Rio Grande divides us (El Paso) from Mexico and is also pretty close to here. There's hardly ever any water in it, though.

Threesome: Town!-- If you could have any "Night on the Town" you wanted, what would you like to do? ...and would you like some company or would you go it alone?
-I'd like to be with Rodrigo. We haven't had a "night on the town" since Alec was born last June so anything will do. I'd be happy with a dinner and a movie.

friday five
The Friday Five are already up and since I'm still here, I'll answer before I go to bed.

What was...

1. ...your first grade teacher's name?
-Mrs. Bittner

2. ...your favorite Saturday morning cartoon?
-The Bugs Bunny and Tweety show

3. ...the name of your very first best friend?
-Vanessa Yvette

4. ...your favorite breakfast cereal?
-corn pops

5. ...your favorite thing to do after school?
-watch Scooby Doo, Tom & Jerry, and Three's Company. then play with Barbies

feeling: still stupid after this afternoon
watching: Conan O'Brien
what I should be doing instead of blogging: looking for keys I took off the keychain




No comments: