Monday, April 05, 2004

10 years

It was about the time that I was in sixth grade that I started listening to my own radio. I knew disco and Neil Diamond from my mom and rock music from my uncles. What I liked were groups like Duran Duran and U2. I'd had my own cassette recorder/radio for a few years but not until that time did I really care about what I heard. By the time I got into middle school (junior high) everyone was getting into music like Kid n Play, MC Hammer and such. I didn't really care for that. Through my aunt, I discovered a local radio show called "Stepping Out". They played "alternative" music on Sunday nights. I was introduced to bands like The Cure, The Sundays, 10,000 Maniacs, Soup Dragons and I LOVED it. Every Sunday night, I'd record the show and listen to it throughout the week. On Saturdays, I'd record the songs I really liked onto another cassette and use the previous one over again. I continued doing this into high school. My friends and I liked a different type of music than what all the other kids liked. We didn't admire Vanilla Ice or New Kids on the Block. The guys were known as the "skaters" and weren't really in the "in" crowd. Then all of a sudden "Nirvana" emerged and my entire school loved them. Suddenly all the type of music we'd been listening to was cool and kids like my friend Jeremy who had looked like Kurt Cobain for the past few years were suddenly dateable. "Smells like teen spirit" was a song that we just couldn't get enough of. We all couldn't wait to graduate and move to Seattle. My little brother would spend hours in his room trying to play the into to "Come as you are" on my dad's guitar over and over again. "Nevermind" was filled with great song after great song. We loved and admired Kurt Cobain and let him be the voice of our generation. Then one day as I was incredibly excited over prom and graduation, I got home to hear the news that Kurt Cobain had died. It was ruled a suicide. I was shocked and couldn't really say anything. I didn't understand how that could happen. Weren't some of his lyrics, "no, I don't have a gun"? At school everyone was sad but we were kids and life went on as usual.
Kurt Cobain's songs are now the soundtrack to my high school memories. Every time I hear "Heart-shaped box" I remember when my then boyfriend would borrow his mom's car and drive me home after school. "Smells like Teen Spirit" reminds me of standing outside of my speech class waiting for my friends Jeremy and Bobby and swapping cassettes. "Come as you are" reminds me of my brother and his friends trying to learn to play guitar. "In Bloom" reminds me of driving my first car with my first real license. There were miles and miles of road just waiting to be driven on by me. "Lithium" reminds me of prom and all my "skater" friends actually wearing a tuxedo for once in their lives. I remember the chaperones going crazy when all the kids started moshing at prom but then just allowing it. I never thought I'd see half those kids dance, but they did. In their own way.
I can't believe it's been ten years since Kurt Cobain was murdered by his crazy wife, I mean, since he committed suicide. I can't believe it's been more than ten years since all that was alternative became mainstream and accepted. Wow, time flew. Oh well, whatever, nevermind.

TV Tuesday
The Networks are getting ready to announce their new fall schedules. Imagine what would happen if you could play programmer for one day!

1. What shows would make up a perfect night of TV viewing for you?
-Law & Order, Queer Eye, Law & Order SVU, The Real World, uh, how long am I watching tv?

2. What show(s) would you cancel without a moment's hesitation?
-Fear Factor, Direct Effect, MadTV, that's all I can think of that make me groan when they're on. Oh, MTV Cribs just because I'm jealous and Newlyweds because it makes me mad that Jessica Simpson is getting so rich while being so stupid.

3. Is there a show (previously cancelled or just no longer airing) that you'd bring back, original cast and all?
The Family Guy (even though I have the dvd), My So-Called Life, Seinfeld, The Real World San Francisco and Miami


~Bonus~ You get to create one show to put on the schedule, with any stars you choose. Who and what would it be?
Something like "Diary" but instead of following around people like Britney or Hillary Duff, I'd like to see the Diary of bands like U2, Coldplay, Guster, and The White Stripes and get to see their concerts.

Tuesday Twosome
1. What are the last two movies you saw?
-Call Me (Heidi Fleiss) just because it was on and The Aristocats (Brianna's choice)

2. What are the last two TV shows you saw?
-Nirvana Video Collection, The Tonight Show

3. What are the last two items you purchased?
-confetti, plastic cups (for dyeing eggs)

4. What are the last two beverages you drank?
-green tea, pepsi

5. What are the last two sites you surfed (before coming here)?
-TV Tuesday, LJCFYI


feeling: I miss Nirvana
listening to: Nirvana (Lithium)
what I should be doing instead of blogging: putting Alec to bed

No comments: