Tuesday, November 30, 2004

bring it on

We had a food drive at work last month. The branch that collected the most food won a catered luncheon and my branch happened to be the winner. We collected 83 cans of food and 12 turkeys to donate to the homeless shelter. Another branch collected 85 cans of food ( no turkeys) and they are actually complaining that they should be the winners because "turkeys don't count". This month we are having a toy drive. We are going to have two competitions, the first being whoever collects the most toys and the second is whoever decorates their toy bin the best. I'm in charge of the decorating. Once we were given the details of the toy drive the leader of the complaining branch called to let us know that "This is war." I'm not kidding. If we were street kids, she would've danced around us and we would've been served. If we were high school cheerleaders she would've shown us some of her best moves and told us to "bring it". But we work at a bank, so she had to call us and let us know. She should've faxed over her "this is war" message. Isn't that immature? I mean, we're doing this for charity not "to win". Come on! Still, being in charge of the decorating and with her comments now I feel that I *have* to win. The toy bin is just a huge plastic box and it is going up against a wall. I figure since one side will be covered, I won't worry about that one. The theme I came up with is "'Twas the Night Before Christmas" and here's what I'm planning. . . .
On one side: "The stockings were hung by the chimney with care. . ." I'm going to make a cardboard chimney with stockings, of course.
Side two: "Visions of sugarplums danced in their heads. . ." I'll decorate that side with giant candy canes, peppermints, gingerbread men, and all sorts of sweets.
Side three: "Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night" That side will have a Christmas tree and some wrapped packages.
How does that sound? I literally been obsessing over this for days now. I thought of all sorts of decorating themes like The Nutcracker, The Twelve Days of Christmas, and the little drummer boy, but I think this is the easiest. Easiest, at least, to make the decorations. Ugh. I hate feeling competitive about something charitable like this but I don't know how else to feel. I've been served. (Or is it I got served?)
Please, any ideas are hugely appreciated!

Ooh! I just found this on Giao's page and I have to play! Here goes. . .

1. first, recommend to me:
* a movie
* a book
* a musical artist, song, or album

2. ask me three questions, no more, no less. ask me anything you want.

3. paste this into your journal, allowing your friends to ask you anything.


feeling: creative
watching: The Tonight Show
what I should be doing instead of blogging: making styrofoam peppermints

No comments: