Saturday, November 06, 2004

the sun will come out tomorrow. . . . .

Ok, so its time to stop moping and get on with whatever. This will be a politcal enrty but please don't take it against me. I was part of the Kerry supporters having joined the johnkerry.com team and the MOB (Mothers Opposing Bush). Tuesday I stayed up until 1:30 am listening to results but it was pretty evident that nothing more was going to be said. Wednesday I had the day off and early in the morning learned that Kerry was going to concede. I can't explain how I felt other than shocked, disappointed, and just so let-down and defeated. I was reading an MSN message board and was more shocked at how people were still fighting. Republicans calling Kerry supporters hippies and cry babies. Democrats calling Bush supporters ignorant and morons. I didn't add any comments but can still feel how divided we are. I cried during the concession speech. Not sobbing, but I did shed a few tears. I feel unsafe. I feel unsure about the future and torn because I've always been accused of being very "I love the USA" but feel disappointed at the same time. I think the war is wrong and would hate to be one of the moms who can't afford to send a child to college, have him join the millitary and put him in danger in a country that doesn't want us there.
One thing that really bothered me are the statistics that voter the ages of 18-29 made up only 17% of the total voters. This is the same as in the 2000 election. It bothers me that voting is a right we take for granted and don't see it as a duty.
I am first generation born in the U.S. and love my country so I guess I just have to remember that this country means more to me than the person who represents it. When I went back to work on Wednesday, everyone kept asking me if I was ok, if I wasn't too upset as soon as I walked in. I've received a lot of emails and seen a lot of funny things to cheer me up, but I'm ok, really. Who knows. maybe a Canadian will marry me. Kidding! I received a great email and I'm going to share it,
"Hope is a state of mind, not of the world. Hope, in this deep and
powerful sense, is not the same as joy that things are going well, or
willingness to invest in enterprises that are obviously heading for
success -- but rather an ability to work for something because it is
good."
-Vaclav Havel, President, Czech Republic 1989-92

feeling: better
watching: Saturday Night Live
what I should be doing instead of blogging: listening to Rodrigo

No comments: