Monday, April 11, 2005

reunion anxiety

I've previously mentioned that I am extremely old and we had our 10 year high school reunion LAST YEAR! I wasn't able to go but I saw a few of the pictures that were taken. One of my fellow '94 graduates started up a Yahoo group and asked us to join last fall. I joined and haven't been really active in the messaging. I like looking through the pictures and see what everyone is up to so I decided to send the members an invitation to go into my OFOTO account and look through pics. In the email I sent them, I wrote the following, ". . . neither Rodrigo (my "not-the-husband") nor I are in most of the pictures. This is not done on purpose but we're always the ones taking the pictures and/or being the silly one trying to get the baby to look at the camera. Don't worry, though, for those of you who knew me in high school, I haven't changed much (pretty sad, really) and I definately act the same."
Ever since then I've been really worrying that I look totally different and that when I actually do see these people they'll think "I thought she said she hadn't changed much." I mean, we've all run into someone who we hadn't seen in a while and thought, "Wow, what happened to him/her?" I don't want to be that person. I started freaking out and wanted to know someone's opinion. I considered calling my high school boyfriend and setting up a lunch meeting or something. That way he could say, "You haven't changed a bit!". Then I decided against that because 1.His wife probably wouldn't appreciate it and 2.I never put myself into any situation that could potentially be edited into something that looks bad and aired on Cheaters. I called my mom and asked her if she thought if I'd changed a lot since high school and she said I looked like I'd had kids. Then she had to go. WHAT?! What does that mean? Does it mean that I gained a lot of weight? Always look really tired? Finally grew boobs? I decided to go with the latter so that I wouldn't be torturing myself.
There was really only one thing I could do. I tried on my senior prom dress and hurray, it fit! Then I found an old prom picture and noticed that it definately does not fit the same. Here are my junior and senior prom pictures (minus high school boyfriend/prom date since I'm sure he doesn't want his picture posted all over the place). First is my junior prom. . . . .

Then my senior prom (which is the dress that I tried on) . . . .

Ouch. I'm curvier than in high school and I even think I'm shorter. How does that happen? One of my friends told me that we all probably gained some weight or our body has changed because of kids, marriage, or whatever the person's situation is. She said that I shouldn't worry about having a different body shape but about not looking old. Oh great, now I'm going to be obsessing over wrinkles. I think what I should've done in the first place was tell everyone that I am now about 1,000 lbs and have to be weighed on a commercial scale and lifted by a crane. Also, that I went through some sort of time travel experiment that made me age rapidly. That way, they'd be expecting a really huge old-looking person. When they saw me it would be a pleasant surprise and I could just explain it off by saying that I got help from Richard Simmons and facials or something. Oh no, I think I'm getting a little too "Romy & Michelle". Anyway, I'll keep you all posted on the reunion barbecue that's planned for later this summer. Luckily, I think it won't involve me having to wear a swimsuit. Have a good day.

feeling: not as cute
listening to: Led Zeppelin (Ramble On)
what I should be doing instead of blogging: folding clothes

No comments: