Wednesday, June 15, 2005

digital fortress

I barely finished reading Digital Fortress today. I really liked it but hadn't had enough time to read anything lately. I couln't fall asleep last night just wanting to know what was going to happen. It is very "techy" but not so much that a non-techy like me can't understand. So, at the end of the book there's this code. . .
128-10-93-85-10-128-98-112-6-6-25-126-39-1-68-78
I first thought it was pages and checked if there were bold letters in those pages like there were in The DaVinci Code sleeve. No luck. Then I turned to those chapters. Since he mentions a "Julius Caesar" type of code breaking in the book I thought that would be it. Ceasar was supposed to have written messages in 64 letters. He split them up into 16 groups of 4 letters. Then you were to write the letters out in a box 8 letters across and 8 letters down. You wrote the from left to right then read them down and the message would appear. I figured since there were 16 numbers, I should take the first four letters of each chapter. I came up with this:

whenense
commgreg
ensewhen
huloyoub
althalth
insionem
roomthey
nowwunde

That didn't make sense. Then I tried just the first letter of each chapter and although it wasn't the entire 64 letters, it made sense

w e c g
e w h y
a a i o
r t n u

Get it? wearewatchingyou. Cute. Anyway, I made my own. Enjoy.

woon
atww
iuog
ltwa
shda
loix
haen
ymty
ivvd
gohv
neea
rroe
ganr
erut
ygie
aott

feeling: geeky
watching: The Tonight Show
what I should be doing instead of blogging: getting ready for bed

No comments: