Thursday, August 11, 2005

sad songs

I was listening to a radio conversation where they were talking about this article. It lists the 25 saddest songs of all time. Now, I'm not a typically depressing person, but I have to admit that I used to listen to really depressing music growing up. Angst ridden songs from the likes of Morrisey, the Cure and that whole genre. I hadn't even heard of a lot of the songs on this list. Here's my take on some of these. . .
#24. My Immortal by Evanescence. I don't know if this song is sad but it certainly is depressing. I never really liked it. Sounded like a lot of whining to me and I just thought about how she should be on anti depressants.
#23, #20, #5. These really sound like something I'd make fun of. Or like the type of song that you'd expect to be playing in the break-up scene of a Ben Stiller movie.
#16 & #4 These songs remind me of a local radio show that used to play when I was in high school. They were late night dedications that always just seemed to be depressing songs. They remind me of the girls I knew who'd listen to this. They'd keep a poetry notebook and always drew roses or breaking hearts.
#14 & #11 These are genuinely sad.
#18 & #13 These really, really depressed me.
#17. The Freshmen from The Vervepipe. Oh, what can I say? This is one of the most depressing songs I've ever heard. I associate it with a breakup and moving out of my parents' house, being homesick, ugh, just not a good time. Great song, though.


There's sooooo many songs I'd add, though. Of course, it'd be longer than 25. "There's a Light that Never Goes Out" would be on there. Pssh, in fact just add all Smiths/Morrissey songs on there. Lots from the Cure. Plus there's sooooo depressing songs in Spanish. "La Celula Que Explota" from Caifanes, songs from "Los Amantes de Lola", "Duncan Dhu" and that's not even getting into ballads. Someone should write a whole book compiled entirely of just songs that people consider sad. "Angel" from Sarah MacLaughlin as well as "Sweet Surrender" oh and "Adia". I guess we could go on forever here. What are your depressing songs?

feeling: glad to have a WHOLE day at home
listening to: The Cure (Prayers for Rain)
what I should be doing instead of blogging: checking why the kids are so quiet

No comments: